Embracing Our History
The Manhattan has been trading as a bar for 170 years it has gone through a few different names but we have decided to embrace our buildings true history by renaming us to the original name.
As always we will offer great food, Craft Beer, Cocktails & a huge selections of Gin.
A little bit of back story..
Felix McGowran (died 1883) came to Raheny in 1834, rented premises next to Raheny House (later Raheny Cottage, now the Garda Retirement Home) and set up there as a “Jaunting Car, Cart and Car Maker”. He later had a Sawmill and Timber Yard business at the junction of Howth Road and Watermill Road, in the shadow of Rathmore House. He opened the “Manhattan Public House” in 1843 and his family continued there into the 20th century.
Subsequent occupants of the Manhattan were Delaney, Dwyer, Wheelan, Maguire and latterly Curtis and Farrelly. The premises was extended, refurbished and renamed “The Station House” in 1991 then was closed & reopened as The Cock & Bull Raheny in 2013. Now that we are back to The Manhattan we can build on its historic name & hopefully make our patrons proud to have a local with a 170 year history.
The Manhattan sits on a corner right beside Eight crescent cottages on Station Road near the junction with the Howth Road are among the oldest buildings in the village, having been built around 1790 by local resident Samuel Dick, then Governor of the Bank of Ireland. The cottages served as residences for men who worked on Mr. Dick’s estate. The cottages are informally known as the Doh-Ray-Mee cottages. The cottage nearest to the Manhattan pub was once the village post office.